My home in Wales

My home in Wales

Monday, March 29, 2010

I chose classroom 2.0 because I felt like it was just such an in-depth resource. Here are the teachers of America, and I can ask them whatever I want and help them if I can. And most of the teachers had links to their other blogs, which were also interesting. I talked in a few discussions. The first one I commented on was using Facebook as a resource in the classroom. I told them my opinion, which is that facebook is becoming more and more like myspace used to be, and that it's starting to become filled with surveys, games, quizzes, and a lot of distractions for students. I mentioned that Twitter would be more helpful because you are able to create lists of groups of people, and that way, students will be able to separate their personal tweeting from their academic tweeting. I then helped out a teacher who teaches English as a Foreign Language, which is something I may be interested in teaching in the future, because of my work at the ELI. He was asking for some activities to do to get students excited about writing, and I gave him a few examples of games and fun little activities that I've used with my students. I told him that these were merely supplementary material though, as I was only a listening and speaking coach, and so my specialty was not writing. But the games I gave the students would be a good way to warm them up for writing a paper. I then talked to someone who needed to find a good voice community, and was going to pay for Elluminate, but that it was too expensive, so I just gave him a link to Voicethread and said "IT'S FREE!" and gave him some details about it. I can't believe I got to give an actual teacher resources to use in his classroom, and I'm just a measly student, I feel so accomplished!

I've learned that every walk of life has something to learn from the other. And that we live in such a collaborative community now, that it's nice to know that your other resources are teachers from all over the world who teach different subjects, have been teaching for different amounts of time, and all have different views on how to run a classroom. This web site is going to be a seriously important tool of mine in the future, once I become a teacher. Anytime I'm stuck on something in the curriculum, or am looking for a new way to approach a lesson, I have thousands of teachers at my fingertips. That's pretty powerful stuff right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment